Our Group practices Christian Meditation – Prayer of the heart. The roots of meditation lie in the desert tradition of early 4th century Christianity. The World Community for Christian Meditation (WCCM) was first started in 1975 by John Main, an Irish Benedictine monk (1926-1982). WCCM is to communicate and nurture the practice of meditation as passed on through the teaching of John Main in the Christian tradition and to share this gift with others. One can meditate alone, but the meditation group is into the deeper meaning of meditation, by connecting the personal experience to community (Mt.18:20) and by both giving and receiving encouragement. Meditating regularly with the same community gives a source of sustenance to our pilgrimage. (Letters from the Heart).
The mediators follow a simple structure designed to keep the focus on the experience of meditation and to be as open to the widest range of people-
(i) Teaching on meditation to remind us of the simplicity of the practice.
(ii) Silent Meditation of 20-30 minutes & to repeat interiorly the prayer word “MA RA NA THA.”
(iii) Time for sharing or questions.
Leader: Victoria Labrooy
Assistant: Bernard Capel
Activities in 2020
1. Weekly Meditation on Tuesdays in CHS Classrooms from 5.00- 6.00pm.
DURING COVID-19, ONGOING 2020 – 2021
1. Our Tuesdays (weekly) Meditation @ 5.00pm continues as offline. The weekly audio talk, etc circulated via WhatsApp.
2. Members communicate with each other via WhatsApp chat & phone calls.
3. WCCM-Malaysia Online Meditation (zoom) on weekdays (Mon-Fri) from 8.30-9.30pm.
4. Bonnevaux live-stream Contemplative Mass & Meditation every Sunday.
1. WCCM-Malaysia online Introductory Workshop on Christian Meditation for 6 weeks (Tuesdays), effective Nov 3, 2020; ending Dec 10,2020
1. Online webinar meeting & meditation with Fr Laurence Freeman OSB on Jun 16, 2020.
2. Webinar meeting (Indonesia) with Fr Laurence Freeman OSB on Sept 7, 2020.
Plans for 2021
WCCM-Malaysia Meditators will continue the meditation practice as stated in “DURING COVID-19, ONGOING PROGRAMME 2020-2021.”